Monday, November 30, 2009

it's my birthday!

ok...so, looks like my last post was in feb of this year. that's crazy! but, I have been busy with other things; you know, like facebook and reading everyone's status and playing farkle and knitting and reading and... okay, so you get the picture. LOL!

anyway, sunday (the 29th) was my birthday. and it occurred to me that i have only had a handful of birthdays that were memorable in 49 years. (which sounds kind of sad, but not really...)



my parents were missionaries when i was young so needless to say we were poor. (like housing projects poor) my 13th birthday is the first birthday that i can recall with any details. i got curtains for my bedroom window. they were a green and blue plaid and i thought they were gorgeous! not only were they cool, but this meant i didn't have to sit on the floor to get dressed any more.



on my 16th birthday, my mom threw me a surprise birthday party. my best friend at the time came and my mom and that was pretty much the guest list. haha! Since i was very shy and timid during high school, I did not appeciate the social aspects of being a high school senior. looking back, i guess God was truly protecting me. shy for me also meant naive to the point of clueless to the ways of the world. but, my mom and dad gave me a pearl necklace for my birthday and it was so beautiful. i felt rich and blessed. all-in-all, it was a good birthday.

then on my 40th birthday, paul actually pulled off a surprise party at our house. there were so many people and i got more gifts that one birthday than i had gotten in the previous 39 years combined. it was amazing! i know people say it's not about the gifts, it's all about getting together with friends and family...but i say, no matter how old you get, it's still a little bit about the gifts. it's just so much fun!


so, sunday was my 49th birthday. and again, it was such a memorable day...actually it was more like a birthday weekend. my family made me feel so loved and appreciated. friends gave me gifts...some small, some not so small...lauren, you rock!...paul, the boots are perfect!...steve, cash is also a welcome gift...:) and rhonda, lunch was too fun! and i got more 'happy birthday' wishes than ever before.


so i guess, the point of this post was just to say that i feel blessed and honored to have such good friends and a family that loves me. It doesn't take that much effort to make someone feel special. so thanks to all who remembered me on my special day and for helping to add this birthday to the list of memorable birthdays. with love!

No comments: